Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bangkok

Some random Bangkok pictures. Before I left my dear friend Doug remarked that as a city Bangkok is as dirty as it sounds and he was not bluffing. It was dirty, loud and smelly. We couldn't walk a meter without being solicited for taxis, ping pong shows, massages and prostitutes. There were certain areas that are beautiful but add to the mix the humidity and ridiculous heat and I don't feel the need to ever go back. I can't believe I don't have a picture of the king. His picture was absolutely everywhere decked out in the gaudiest embellished gold and tracery imaginable. The people actually seem to love the king they would have his picture up and news about him or his family was plastered across every media format. In my opinion he needs a new set of glasses if his picture is going to be everywhere the coke bottles are slightly dated.

We also encountered every mode of transportation possible in Thailand. Starting with plane then, taxi, tuk-tuk (colourful three wheeled contraption in the pictures below), bus, motorbike, mo-ped, elephant, train, riding in the box of a truck taxis, and a ferry. We did cover quite a distance in our short time there and if I go again I believe I will take it easier. And my Thailand trip is finally finished two months later!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to tell you about Bangkok! My favorite part of Bangkok was when I got to leave! HAHAHAHA.

Glen-san said...

totally toally agree with the pictuers of the king thing...EVERYWHERE!!!