Wednesday, October 01, 2008

sumo

Back in May James, Evan, Michael, Rie and I went to a Sumo tournament in Tokyo. Official Sumo tournaments last for 15 days and each rikishi has one match a day. I love sumo and watch it everyday after school when a tournament is on. Click here if you want more info on Sumo. I was pretty excited to go and see the real thing. Tickets are quite expensive for seats that are not all that great (like ours). We each paid around $100 for a box which is essentially a small fenced off area on a floor where you sit on pillows, with nothing to lean back on and no leg room. I was quite disappointed to be honest, from where we were sitting I couldn't tell who the individual rikishi were. It was good to take in the atmosphere and there were certain aspects you don't see while watching TV but the actual matches I would prefer to watch up close and personal. Although some of the fat rolls and body hair are a bit too up close. Anyhow, the one thing I was surprised about was how big they actually are. I realized they are fat but I figured they be like really fat Japanese people but many of them are much taller. It was weird being towered over again. Kotooshu (Bulgarian sumo wrestler) is massive at 6'8 and 340pds but he is not fat like the others. Here are some not very good pictures of the tournament.



We also had a few nights out in the city. I didn't really get any pictures because the clubs we went to did not allow photography!?


No comments: