Thursday, March 12, 2009

graduation

Once again the students marched up like robots to receive their certificates, which they had to roll just so, in the joyless celebration of graduation. This year I decided to ask the teachers why things are as they are... "Why are these white tables here if we never use them?" " Why is there always a bonzai on the stage?" "Why does the principal where a suit jacket with tails?" " Why does the vice-principal always open and close the assembly and the head teacher always act as master of ceremonies?" and many more whys and the only answer I received to all these questions was "because it is always like this". Once again pulled out my hair during the speeches of the head of the BOE, and the town major who both don't know these kids from Hiroki on the street but felt they needed to wax on forever in the cold. Thankfully we had time to have a bit of fun before the kids left the school. Though for some reason one of the rules of the school is that kids must not take pictures in the entrance way so they were not allowed to touch a camera!

Some of favourite boys! Genki on the right wrote in his journal " Ms. Jenelle I can't live without you. I love you!" hahaha

Mother and daughter look nothing alike!


Yuki (right) has been my favourite since I came to Japan and we continued to make each other cry that day. She has since emailed me everyday!


Matsuisensei looked beautiful in a Kimono and Hakuma which apparently took an hour to put on.


Thankfully we had a goodbye party the week before where the student teams sang songs or acted out skits for the graduates. Here the volleyball team is dancing as their paper flowers fall off their heads.


The teachers also sang a song which caused a riot of tears, once the boys were crying I was a goner. There is something about men crying that causes the like reaction in me? This class was the youngest in junior high school when I came and it was difficult to see them go. I am not looking forward to the now 6th graders becoming junior high school students. I guess we'll see.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Totally unrelated, but I'm loving that hair on you! :)