Thursday, June 28, 2007

firefly


I saw my first firefly last night and I was like a little kid chasing it around the parking lot. It was a lone firefly and stayed too briefly for my liking. I had never imagined they were so bright or beautiful. Apparently Japan has a long standing love for fireflies.
It is popular to view the fireflies' glow during hot summer nights (hotaru-gari). The Japanese word for a firefly is "hotaru." In some cultures hotaru might not have a positive reputation, but they are well liked in Japanese society. They have been a metaphor for passionate love in poetry since the 8th century. Their eerie lights are also thought to be the altered form of the souls of soldiers who have died in war. However, since hotaru inhabit only clean streams, their numbers have been decreasing in recent years due to pollution.


The firefly departs
so quickly, so breathlessly
it leaves behind its light
Kobayashi Issa

what goes away
is not limited to love
an evening firefly
Suzuki Masajo


I think I earlier wrote about Japan's obsession with Auld Lang Syne well I have since found out it is a song about fireflies.

"Hotaru no Hikari (The Light of the Firefly)" is probably one of the most popular Japanese songs. It is often sang when bidding farewell to one another such as at graduation ceremonies, the closing ceremony of events, and the end of the year.

Hopefully there will be more fireflies to come!

My beautiful town!

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Wow - you mean to tell me that there are absolutely no fireflies in Saskatchewan?? I didn't realize that when we lived there! We have them here in Ontario. :) We used to catch them and try to put them in jars at my grandparents' house when we were little. :)

Jenelle said...

Yep sad but true no fireflies. apparently my town here is having a meeting about preserving the fireflies because they are dying out.

Unknown said...

What do you mean "No fireflies in Saskatchewan"? I just saw well over a dozen of them just outside Saskatoon last night. I will give you this; with the construction going on there you won't find them for there much longer.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.