Tuesday, July 17, 2007

disaster central

Just back from a trip with my ma. Unfortunately, in Tokyo we encountered a typhoon which constantly drenched us with rain and often strong winds. I even bought rubber boots because I was sick of walking through puddles of questionable cleanliness. Anyhow, I get back to Niigata and am rudely woken the next morning by an earthquake. It was quite strong compared to the last I had experienced and I was trapped on the third floor of a concrete monster. The quake tossed my building like it was a mere bowl of jello.Thankfully there was no damage in my area and the building did not come down with me imprison inside. There is an area that was hit pretty bad in Niigata, though and one of my friends is unable to make it home due to train cancelations and highway closures. Just what Niigata needed another earthquake.

3 comments:

Glen-san said...

was actually big world news over here, and still is today...you have no idea how weird it is to be watching a news bulletin on iraq, then the next story being about niigata...most surreal. are you ok?

Justine said...

heya. doing anything this weekendo?

Jenelle said...

ya thank Glen! no big damage here. I can grasp the surrealness!