Tuesday, July 24, 2007

onsen

I surprisingly convinced my mom to visit an onsen but we went during the day when there would be few people. We also happened to visit the exact onsen where my naked bathing misadventures occurred. It is a beautiful onsen with a nice view of the river. For those who are not in Japan this is what it looks like. I snuck my camera in!
Many onsen also have rotenburo or outside onsen where you can sit in steaming water and feel the rain or snow on your shoulders. I prefer the rotenburo and tend to go to onsen where they have nice ones rather than be choosy about water quality. Many Japanese people claim different onsens have different healing properties for certain ailments and some even contribute to beauty. These are the little showers where you soap yourself up before dipping in the waters.

1 comment:

Glen-san said...

oh my god! i never had the guts to sneak a camera into an onsen...where would i hide it???

glad you did though, i have now stolen these photos, so 'takk' as the norwegians would say

i miss onsens