Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fukushima

James and I went on a little day trip to Fukushima. He had mentioned this nice shrine there forever ago (maybe my first year) but we had never got our act together. It was a beautiful fall day and a beautiful shrine.The shrine was covered in beautiful woodwork carving- this is the native dragon elephant!Inside it also had many interesting older paintings. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese traditional style but I enjoyed these paintings and they livened up the dark interior.The shrine is on the bank of a river and affords a stunning view.

This the mascot of Fukushima and if you can believe it, is a cow. Not only is it a black and red cow but it is a bobble head black and red cow. The first thing I though of was the bright red Swedish horses though I think it looks more like a pig.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh geez I would just love to go to Japan!