Wednesday, August 29, 2007

japanese finger signals & going away parties

The Japanese have many different finger and hand signals that I was not aware at the beginning of my term here. Two in particular have given me problems on numerous occasions. The first is a hand signal I like to call scoot, as you would scoot a dog away. Holding your hand out with palm down you move your fingers from the palm out. In our culture it means go, get outta here, leave me alone! In Japan it means come here and I have run away from a few people, including my vice-principal, before I understood this one. The other I have had problems with is indicating oneself. We westerns generally tap ourselves on the chest but Japanese point their index finger at their nose and tap it. I initially though people had runny, or sore noses, now I use it like a pro.

There are a few other gestures that have meaning in Japan. A pink finger raised means girlfriend and can be a question or an answer. Conversely a thumbs up means boyfriend, my students like to use this frequently. Using your index finger to pull down the bottom of your eye indicates you think the other person is an idiot. To duck a little while moving your hand in a chopping motion in front of your face means you would like to get through and be unobtrusive. Using your hand to fan in front of your nose (like there is a bad smell) means no no, not me, or no thank you.
Below Justine and I are demonstrating sad which is placing your index finger on the table and circling it. Jon thought he was demonstrating another version of sad but after speaking to my students and teachers it typically mean shy, or timid and is only a gesture females should use. Apparently, if a woman does this men will think she is cute! Who knew it was so easy! We are making sad because it was Justine's last night in Niigata, she has since gone home to Canada to eat wonderful food and speak to many people who understand English. Can you tell I am slightly craving western food today! It was a month of many goodbyes and now the welcome parties have begun! I will post pictures from Scott's party later. Good luck to all who left!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenelle! Miss you!!

It's so interesting that your blog often tells me Japanese culture that I can't tell since it's too nusual to me.

and about the sad signal, I'd like to mention that the girls using this are those who act cute.
well, including this, still it works for boys lol

Shelley said...

Wow - I think I'd get myself into some trouble if I lived there - I have picked up the 'French' habit (that annoys the hell out of my Dad apparently) of talking with my hands -Lord knows what I'd be saying! ;) Interesting that flicking your fingers AWAY from you would indicate you want someone to come closer. I wonder what they think our gesture for come closer (crooking your index finger toward yourself) means!! :)

Always fascinating to read Jenelle - thanks!!

Justine said...

darn i commented and it didn't publish.
i had multigrain tostidos today. very oishikatta.