Thursday, December 07, 2006

central heating...anyone?

Well buildings in Japan do not have central heat even though the temperature does get below zero. It is almost akin to medieval Europe but instead of fireplaces in each room we have kerosene heaters. It is not too bad when you are in a heated room though at school the temperature is at 20 when it would be at 25 if I had any say. The hallways and the gym, however, are NOT heated at all. It is almost a mad dash from the teacher's room through the frigid hallways to the welcome sanctuary of the classroom. I feel for the kids who take part in club activities because the gym is freezing. I went to karate on Monday and nearly froze my feet off on the icy floor. The gym was so cold that each breath was visible. The sensei figured running in circle on the freezing floor in our bare feet would cause them to warm up? Not sure if you have ever partially frozen an appendage but it becomes more painful to do anything with it until it becomes numb. If I have arthritic feet later in life I will know why. To compensate they had a heater that looked like an engine from a WWII plane. It was only effective if you stood directly in front of it with your feet in the air but then you were subjected to the cold feet in hot water type pain. It was better to let them go numb. The girls still have to wear skirts to school every day as well. Wouldn't want to be them! The one room of my house has been pretty cozy but if I have to go into the kitchen or bathroom I usually have to put a jacket and slippers on. Thank god for my heated toilet seat. I thought it was a stupid idea when I arrived here in the sweltering weather but when that is the only heat source in the room it is appreciated. I suppose that is enough complaining it is still pretty warm outside compared to back home.

Here is a picture from the third floor of my school when there was still snow.

1 comment:

Justine said...

my sentiments exactly.