Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What kind of winter is this?

So it finally snowed on Sunday and started feeling a bit more like December. Melissa has her apartment all decked out in Christmas paraphanalia but I really couldn't get into the Christmas mood without the snow. It brought to mind late night shopping, Christmas parties, mitten and toques(a Canada word meaning woolen hat), and hot chocolate. I think the lead up to Christmas is what I enjoy the most of the holiday. Working at the Country Club I was cursed with an overabundance of Christmas. This year the Christmas atmosphere is sorely lacking even though Japan has embraced Christmas and all its accoutrements...perhaps too much. They play Christmas songs as jingles in stores all year long and at the KFC in Niitsu they even dressed up Colonel Sanders as Santa. It is all very cartoonish and artifical. They have adopted the physical symbols of Christmas but the feeling (I don't solely mean religious) is absent. I am very glad I am going home.Well, the snow has melted and has left a slushy mucky mess. They have this strange road clearing system made up of a system of pipes that spray water when it snows. This sounded completely idiotic to me...adding more water to freeze on the road? Apparently it never really freezes here though. They had the water things on on Sunday and once you left the safety of your car you had to wade through vast puddles to get anywhere. Now I understand why they have massive aisles of assorted styles of rubber boots. Anyhow, I am sure the snow must stay after a while because my area has been known to accumulated around two metres of snow in the winter.

Celebrated Kristen's and Misael's birthdays last weekend. Here is Kristen with her crazy flip flop feet slippers.

Misael and Justine. Is she looking at him or the food?


I'm a gangsta stay away from my paella.

No comments: