Monday, December 18, 2006

luck runs amok

I have had a couple months free of bad luck (aside from my general forgetfulness) but lady luck decided to toy with me this weekend…

I was in Sanjo for another musical rehearsal and Kristen and I went out to buy some supplies. We were driving by Jusco when a guy pulled out of the parking lot and drove straight into the side of my car. It was somewhat strange because I was looking at him as it was happening and he realized he was going to hit me...if he would have stepped on the brakes at that point I think he would have missed me but maybe he was in shock or something and proceeded to t-bone me. It was not a bad accident by any means but it was frustrating not being able to communicate. Kristen called a Japanese friend who was nice enough to interpret for us. I was somewhat annoyed that the police asked for my passport because we go through the trouble to get a gajiin card which is suppose to stand in place of the passport so we are not required to carry it. Luckily, I had gone to pick up my re-entry visa last Friday and I had my passport in the glove box. It was unfortunate that we were in an accident but if some higher deity preordained an accident to occur it was lucky it was in Sanjo because that is where my car dealer's shop is located so the dealer was able to give me a loaner car while my banged up car was getting fixed and off I went.

Driving home from Sanjo I was thinking back on the car accident and because the police asked for my passport it reminded me that I left it in my other car which was lucky because I would have probably forgotten it until the day I had to leave and would have been out of luck.

I reached Niitsu and my luck decided to turn again! I was driving in the straight through lane and going through an intersection when the guy who was in the turning lane decided to go straight. I didn't even really see him but he was livid that I did not let him in and was driving beside me on a one way street and yelling at me. I didn't care so I let him go ahead. He then proceeded to stop his vehicle in front of me and get out. At this point I really didn't know what to do and I was wondering if I should attempt to drive away. He stormed over to my car and was yelling at me to get out. I can't quite recall if he spoke in English at all or not but I understood what he wanted and I was not getting out of my car. He then began knocking on the window and I shook my head and said no. Straight from a movie or those shows you see on FOX about people with road rage he smashed his fist into my side mirror and shattered it onto the road. He then stomped off to his vehicle and peeled away. I sat for a couple minutes just looking at the broken mirror of my second car of the weekend and then though…I guess it is lucky I have to go back to Sanjo anyhow to get my passport.

No comments: