Tuesday, May 01, 2007

hmmmm

Well I haven't been posting because I really haven't been doing anything interesting or exciting. Many of the foreigners are traveling for golden week to exciting and exotic places while I hole it up in the country. I was in another car accident last week that was actually my fault and so goes money down the drain. Another reason I'm stickin in the sticks is the amazing Fox Bride Festival which will happen on Thursday. I really don't know if it is that amazing but it is the only interesting thing my town has going for it and I want to be a front row observer. So I have a few pics from another rock climbing adventure and some more cherry blossoms! I hear you screaming YEAH!

These pictures are from a short cut route we often use to get to the city because you can drive faster than 50 km (no cops) and there are no traffic lights! This little stream is usually pretty unremarkable almost on the ugly side until...the cherry trees bloom along the concrete waterway. I was actually really glad I had a chance to see this because on the whole my first cherry blossom season had been disappointing. Here's to hidden gems!


Went on a hike with Evan and Misael where hijinks prevailed.
Not sure if he is constipated here or slightly possessed.



On an unrelated note I had an enkai on Friday with the PTA group. I hadn't seen many of the parents since the 40th anniversary in the fall and many of them remarked on my improved Japanese ability. I was fairly proud that night, perhaps slightly alcohol induced, but on further reflection I think they were simply complementing me on the fact that I know a word in Japanese. Half the time I discern (guess) what people are saying based solely on a single word in a multitude that I may be able to pick up. 35% of the time I have no idea what they are saying and simply say sorry I don't understand Japanese and perhaps 15% of the time I actually understand what they are saying. The 15% I do understand consists of typical questions like when did you come to Japan, or what is your favourite food. Small steps I know but I have noticed that rather than say yes, I say hai without even thinking. There may be hope for me yet...as long as I get over my phobia of studying.

No comments: