Thursday, December 06, 2007

mexicans, snow and rye!!!

Since Niigata is relatively small you end up meeting most everyone in the foreign community. We were lucky enough to have a group of Mexicans, who were training for some type of engineering situation, living in the city. With their strange drinks and constant hi jinx they often kept us amused. Unfortunately, they were called back to the homeland to impart their knowledge (if they remember anything after inebriation) to their fellow countrymen. They had never seen snow before ( it is still difficult for me to believe people like this exist) and were hoping to do so before they left. It did snow but not in the city so Misael and I offered to show Jose and Mariano some of the cold stuff out in Mikawa. It was pretty disappointing actually because it had rained so the snow was really icy but they seemed to enjoy it.

Mariano's first touch.


Misael, Mariano, and Jose. I think Misael was happy to have Spanish speakers around.
After we said our goodbyes at a party at Northern Lights and Dustin was so nice to give them a bottle of Crown Royal.



3 comments:

Shelley said...

Ha! That's so cute that they loved the snow! I would love to see them here right now - we had some great snowstorms last week (I love snow until about mid-Jan), and ended up with about a foot of it on the ground. Not tons, but it's stayed nice and powdery and pretty!
So, no, I won't be going to my parents' place for xmas this year (we take turns each year because Luc's parents live in the opposite direction). So we'll go to their place for New Years instead - but they'll be coming to Becky's for a small family gathering just before xmas so we can all open presents together. How about you? Are you flying home for the holidays?

Jenelle said...

now you confused me shelley do I answer here or on your blog? I am coming..going? home for Christmas where I am sure I will get fat and drink too much. Does Becky live near you?

Shelley said...

:) To be honest, I confused myself trying to figure out where to write to YOU as well! :) I figured you'd have more chance of seeing a response in your own blog than in mine, so I wrote here, but I think it's probably easier to stay here now.. ;)
Sounds like you do much the same as I do at xmas (eat and drink too much) - for some reason, despite all the snow, I don't feel like it's even the holiday season.. Weird in a way. Hopefully I snap out of it soon, or it'll just be a few hectic days of travelling to see family and then on with life as usual (which would be boring). ;)
Becky lives about 15 minutes away from me, on the Ottawa side. :) She keeps threatening to move out of the city once she's graduated, but a small selfish part of me hopes she doesn't go too far.. My parents are toying with the idea of selling the farm and moving up here too, to be closer to us, as we all live in Ottawa/Gatineau and they live in Napanee, three hours away. :( Okay, I'm totally overpowering your blog comment area, so I'll go now - maybe I'll write to you on facebook from now on - do you check that?

Talk soon, have a great holiday and a safe trip home. :)
Shelley