Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Another week gone.

Wow the time is flying by. School last week was pretty uneventful; it is becoming quite routine now. I joined karate in my town which is interesting. I dont really feel like I am learning too much we simply stand facing the sensei while he demonstrates a punch and then copy him. I am the newbie so he has the high ranked students stand by me and instruct. They cant speak to me so they simply show me the move over and over again meanwhile I am sure they are thinking I look like an uncoordinated idiot. After we are done going through different punches and kicks the older students and us gaijin(alien) stand in rows and act as punching bags for the young children. You wouldnt think a six year old can hit but sometimes being hit or kicked repeatedly in the same spot can smart. Finally, we get a chance to beat on each other. At first I was hesitant about hitting people but I am getting over that and am able to hit the boys but when I am paired with the Japanese students (who are around thirteen but could whoop my uncoordinated ass to Timbuktu) I still have trouble. It is pretty good exercise which is good because there is no gym anywhere near where I live and due to the mass of bear sightings around my area I have nixed running outside. The only part I really dislike is the occasional time we have to do the middle splits and this strange sitting position. I am completely unable to do it. You sit on your knees with your feet pointing away from your body to the side. It doesnt help that we are required to do this on a hardwood floor. Once I master this position however Jean Claude better watch out!

No comments: