Thursday, October 19, 2006

Saru

So I had been told there are monkeys in my area but I had not seen nor heard any monkey like activity. My Japanese English teacher, here in referred to as JTE, is new to my school and area as well and she had not seen them either. Last week the clerk at my school offhandedly said something about a monkey walking outside. She jumped up and started yelling saru (monkey) and we both made a mad dash to the roof of the school. The monkeys were sauntering around the school yard not a bit concerned by us watching. The PE teacher, who is reminiscent of a samurai, was yelling at one unfortunate monkey who decided the soccer net would make an interesting jungle gym. We spent a whole period out there watching the monkeys. Apparently they come down from the higher mountains once it starts to get cold. I am not sure if they stick around here for the winter or move farther south. That was my first monkey experience, however, I was in much closer proximity to the furry creatures on Tuesday when I had to stop on the main highway to allow them to cross. There were probably around 15 monkeys migrating, if that is what you call it, and once again completely unconcerned about speeding traffic. Unfortunately I did not have my camera but here is a picture from the roof.

No comments: