Thursday, October 19, 2006

Playing catch up

I have not had Internet at home for a few weeks thus my blog is way behind. Where to begin....? On October 6th my school had a welcome enkai (drinking party) for me at a beautiful ryokan (traditional Japanese hotel). It was a pretty good time...decent Japanese food...all you can drink, etc. The first party lasted for two hours and then we went to the second party, which was karaoke and then we went to the onsen. An onsen is what we would call hot springs but they are absolutely everywhere in Japan. It is quite a ritual to go. Men and women have separate onsens because one ventures into the waters in the nude. Before going into the water one lathers oneself up at sitting showers. After getting out of the water the ryokan provided yukata (a light kimono type dress) to wear and there are areas available for a nap. We went back to our room where the five of us slept on futons on the floor that the ryokan staff had laid out. All in all enjoyable besides having to leave at 7:00 the next morning.

Saturday
I drove a group of us to a gajin party up north. It ended up taking 2 hours to get there. It was a decent party though I could not drink since I was suppose to run a relay race the next day. Japanese people are a pretty quiet lot and I was stunned how loud a group of foreigners can be. I did not get home until 3:00am. I was incredibly pumped about running at 7:00 the next day! ...hope the sarcasm comes through
Sunday
I woke up at 6:00am to sheets of rain pounding my window. A quick look outside confirmed typhoon like rain and winds. I went back to sleep after praying for the storm god to continue his punishment for a while longer, preventing me from running the stupid race. An hour later my JTE called and to my relief informed me the race was cancelled. We all had a holiday the next day so James and I went to Gosen, where Misael lives, and had a night of karaoke. Karaoke is huge in Japan and people often practice at home. I don't sing but I still enjoy going. We went with Misael's friend Minori and a Japanese couple (Tsubo and Noriko). Noriko is awesome; she loves country music and sang a bunch of Shania Twain and Faith Hill.

Monday
Went to Melissa's place in Niitsu for a delicious Canadian thanksgiving. She bought a couple small chickens which she cooked in her microwave/oven and had potatoes, the most amazing stuffing ever, coleslaw, and more. I made some pumpkin pie which turned out surprisingly good since I later realised a Japanese cup is 200ml compared to 250ml in Canada which the recipe called for.


Shanna, me, Melissa, Paul and Kristen the token American.


Kristen, Justine, Shanna, Anna and I at Anna's party in Nakajo. Wow Canadians out number!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love being the Token unless you guys get in those moods where you want to list famous Canadians (which takes about 5 minutes because there are all of 6 actual famous ones outside of Canada!) HA

Jenelle said...

that's why we need to list them cause you Americans don't realize the are Canadians.