Saturday, November 04, 2006

Horse meat...

Went to an izakaya in Tsugawa on Friday night with a group of people from our town and Gosen. The drinks were good and the food was excellent...until they decided to order raw horse meat. I don't gross out easily and I know I would be fine eating it; it is simply the principal of the matter. I don't want to contribute to horses being raised for slaughter (not sure if they are but just in case). The rest seemed to find it delicious. I like my meat well done so even if it wasn't a poor horsey chopped up I don't think I would have liked it, though I have had raw fish and it is alright. A couple of the Japanese girls attempted to teach me this children's song about a creature called Tanuki. Tanuki is a popular figure here and quite a prevalent image at restaurants. He is a squirrel like creature with overly large testicles.

The song is a children's song about Tanuki's testicle swinging or something similar to that. This is a childrens song! What would be incredibly taboo back home is everyday here. For instance the kancho. Kancho is when a person joins their hands together with index fingers pointed and attempts to stick them up another persons bum. The nursery school children have no compunction attempting this over and over again upon my own and at one point I was standing, stranded, with my hand covering my bum amidst a sea of little kanchoers. Anyhow, I attempted to learn the song but it was too much for my limited Japanese.

Minori and I. Minori is a beautiful girl but her face gets incredibly red when she drinks.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Horse does seem kind of bad but I think this is worse. Here in Korea, you can get dog soup. I haven't tried it yet cause it seems weird but one day soon I will have a bowl of dog soup just to say that I have!