Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Random pictures

I forgot to include a picture or description of my lovely car as of yet. I quite enjoy my car but those sitting in the passenger seat (especially if they are tall) have a hard time of it. My passenger seat is fully equipped for a handicapped person so it swivels and moves completely out of the door. Because it is able to complete these operations, it does not adjust as a normal seat would and allows for little leg room. No I have not taken to driving around handicapped people because of it, this is just Iwan testing it out. There is a jagged mountain ridge in front of my school that the locals have named after a cartoon character because apparently it looks like this character lying down in profile. We don't see the sun after 4:15 because of this ridge. This is a picture of the ridge at around 5:00.
I don't believe I have spoken on the squat toilet yet. Traditionally the squat toilet was the toilet of choice (well maybe not choice because it was simply all there was)in Japan. A normal toilet is called a western toilet. Most places these days you can find western toilets but my area is quite country so squat toilets are the norm. My school luckily has one western toilet but most businesses in my town only have squat toilets. Apparently many Japanese people feel that sitting on a western toilet is disgusting and I have heard of Japanese people who actually climb on the toilet seat and squat on a western toilet. At any rate male anatomy would certainly make using these toilets a lot easier!


We went to the beach in August for Iwan's birthday. It the first time I have ever swam in salt water and I was surprised at the warmth of it. It was almost too warm when you are looking for relief from the sweltering weather. It was not enjoyable tasting the saltiness of the water, either. There was not a single shell on the beach but we did find live starfish in the water.



View of the Shinano river(which is the longest river in Japan)and my finger, in Niigata city.



There is an area in Tokyo called Harajuku where people gather on Sundays and dress in outrageous clothing. We found this Harajuku boy in Shibata at the festival. I have never seen a male prettier than his girlfriend but he takes the cake. Linds and Emma couldn't help but get a pic with him.



Emi-chan is my Japanese tutor's daughter. She is incredibly cute but definitely a handful. James calls her Tabe-chan because taberu means to eat and this child will eat anything.



A group shot from Tokomachi rehearsal. This is Joel's typical pose...I think he is going for Greek God? Tomo is drunk and Kaede is just cute.


PS: We caught the mouse after using many different types of traps. No hamster as of yet.

No comments: