Friday, March 23, 2007

country roads

Well I had my elementary graduation today and I was somewhat looking forward to it because I assumed it would be less formal and slightly more interesting. wrong. It was almost exactly the same as the junior high one except for a small portion at the end where the other students yelled out memories and encouragements to the 6th graders. That would have been really sweet and all but they have practiced it more than ten times so I am sure they are sick of listening to it.

Switching slightly - Japan has an obsession for the song Country Roads by John Denver. Before coming here I knew who John Denver was perhaps because of the plane crash but I had no idea he sang this song (and I had no idea I even knew it). Country Roads is what passes for country music in Japan and inevitably they will mention it if you are from North America. I have been prompted to sing it a few times at karaoke but I think Jimmy must have the words down pat.

Switch back - there I was enjoying my 6th grade graduation ceremony (almost sleeping) when they finally start the procession out of the gym. The song was an instrumental and sounded familiar but I could place it until I began humming it and I realize...yep you guessed it Country Road. I almost laughed but it actually was kind of nice performed with a guitar and harp. Crazy Japan!

No comments: