Thursday, March 01, 2007

taiko

Taiko literally means fat drum. It is the Japanese art form of drumming. Initially the drums had been used in battle to muster troops and set marching beats but since the 1950's many taiko groups have formed and become popular around the world. I had seen an amazing performance by a group in Canada and was interested in trying my hand at it.

Evan and I have gone to taiko for the last couple of months in kamikawa. I don't believe we have learned anything because most of the time we just huddle around the kerosene heater while the other taiko members smoke but it has its interesting moments. The language exchange is always interesting! The sensei has it in his head that soft and slow are the same word so we often get confused as to what he really want us to do.

Sunday was our first performance with the taiko group and I honestly think the only reason we were there was to attract people with the foreign factor. We were stuck in the back and we really were only the beat keepers. Now don't get me wrong I know it is an important job but I think we could have handled a bit more. Anyhow, funny now that I am writing I realize I don't even know our groups name...but whatever it is we have ugly costumes. Evan's JTE had been coming to taiko with us but she quit because she did not want to wear the costume. It is not bad enough for me to quit but having seen other taiko costumes ours is kind of the computer geek of the taiko world. Oh well...the performance went well. Evan said he messed up but I didn't hear him so it was probably okay.


The beginning - we got to use the big drum!




Seiji is the one with the crazy hair and he is probably the best of the group.



Aren't we menacing.




It was a snow festival (without snow) and a group of ladies danced after us.



1 comment:

Shelley said...

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with 'computer geeks'... ;)