Friday, March 09, 2007

graduation

This week my san nensei's (grade 9) graduated from junior high and it was an interesting affair. It was practiced numerous times before the actual day to look as mechanical as possible. The program consisted of the school song, Japan's national anthem, presentation of the certificates, speech by some old guy, speech by another old guy, speech by another old guy, speech by the principal, speech by a san nensei boy and a traditional Japanese song. It was so boring and formalized that not a single student cried and it seemed to be more about celebrating certain of the town's members than the actual students. We had a leaving party for the students earlier and it was much more like my graduation although coming from a small town I am sure mine was much different the most. Anyhow, the tears flowed and the student made me cry, it was great!


Some of the girls!


A couple of my favourite boys!


My optional English group. Sentaku!


The teachers had an enkai that night to celebrate the onerous preparations for graduation (please detect the sarcasm). It was at a beautiful old Japanese house where we were served French cuisine! It was pretty good if expensive but the last course was some of the most amazing steak I have ever had ( or perhaps it is due to the lack in recent days). However, I was getting annoyed because many were too worried about drinking to finish their delicious meat and much went to waste when I could have used a larger helping. Anyhow it was a good time and I was able to teacher a course on wine service!


4 comments:

Glen-san said...

forgive me but thats a fruity 'school teacher' look jenelle!
x

Jenelle said...

Not sure I understand you English speak Glen but for graduation we were required to wear a black suit with a white shirt.

Glen-san said...

its a compliment

Glen-san said...

i guess fruity means something else in the uk than it does in canada!